Walmart offers post-purchase price matching, also known as price adjustment, for in-store purchases.
So, what is price adjustment?
A price adjustment happens most often when you have purchased an item at one price, then find that item available for a lower price a few days later. At stores that allow it, like Walmart, you can request a refund for the difference, allowing you access to the updated lower price.
To qualify for a price adjustment at Walmart, you must provide verification of a lower, non-clearance price of your item on Walmart.com within 7 days of your original purchase. Walmart does not make price adjustments based on competitor pricing, and they do not adjust prices to match prices available at other Walmart locations.
Here are some other important things to know about Walmart’s price adjustment policy:
- Customers have up to 7 days to request a price adjustment after the date of purchase
- Price adjustment is not available for purchases made on Walmart.com
- Store managers have final discretion over price adjustments
- To qualify for a price adjustment, the item must meet all of the existing requirements of Walmart’s in-store price match policy
How To Get A Price Adjustment At Walmart
To request a price adjustment for an in-store purchase at Walmart, follow these steps:
- Bring your item, purchase receipt, and verification of the newly reduced price on Walmart.com to a Walmart store within 7 days of your original purchase (the reduced price must be for the exact same item you purchased, including specifications such as size and color)
- Find the customer service desk and ask a representative to help you with a price adjustment
- The employee and/or store manager will determine whether to grant you your price adjustment
- If your price adjustment is granted, you will receive a refund for the difference either in cash or to your original form of payment
Unfortunately, Walmart does not offer price adjustment for items purchased online.
However, they do offer price matching for online orders, which is even more flexible than price adjustment. When shopping on Walmart.com, you can request a price match for your item if you find a lower price advertised by a qualifying online competitor. For a list of the competitors Walmart will price match, click here.
If you would like to request a price match, follow these steps:
- Find the item you wish to buy from Walmart.com and add it to your shopping cart
- Find the lower advertised price from a qualifying online competitor
- Contact Walmart Customer Care using the blue “Contact Us” button under the “Help” tab on Walmart.com
- A representative will verify the item’s price match eligibility before you complete your purchase and walk you through the steps to receive your discounted price
Unfortunately, Walmart does not offer price adjustments or price matching for sale items. Your item must be advertised with a standard price lower than what you paid in order to qualify for a price adjustment.
Price Adjustment Without Receipts
Because price adjustments rely on knowing exactly how much you paid for your item originally, Walmart cannot complete price adjustments for customers without receipts.
If you would like to request a price adjustment at Walmart, be sure to hold onto your receipts.
How Does The Refund Work?
If you receive a price adjustment from Walmart, you will most likely receive your refund to your original form of payment.
However, if the amount you are receiving is $10 or less, you can request your refund in cash regardless of your original payment method.
Does Walmart Have a Good Price Adjustment Policy?
Overall, Walmart has a fairly flexible price adjustment and price matching policy. However, it’s become a bit more strict over the years.
For example, Walmart used to price match competitor prices for in-store purchases before doing away with this policy in 2020.
Here are some of the current exclusions of Walmart’s price adjustment and price match policy…
Walmart does not offer price adjustments or price matching for:
- Special event prices (including but not limited to clearance, rollback, Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals, or limited-time promotions)
- Prices from Walmart Marketplace Retailers
- Bundle offers, instant rebates, mail-in offers, offers that include financing
- Advertisements that require a purchase to receive a gift card
- Percentage-off or buy-one-get-one-free advertisements without a specified price
- Prices from other Walmart or Neighborhood Market stores
- Competitor advertised prices (for in-store purchases)
Does Walmart price match?
Yes. Walmart offers price matching for both in-store and online purchases. For a full look at Walmart’s price matching policy, click here.
Does Walmart do price adjustments for layaway items?
In most cases, no. Because Walmart price adjustments must be requested within seven days of purchase, this disqualifies most layaway items. However, if the price of your item drops within one week of placing it on layaway, visit your local Walmart to request a price adjustment. If more than one week has passed, you will need to pay the full price of your item as it was marked when your layaway began.
Does Walmart Canada do price adjustments?
Yes. Walmart Canada offers in-store price adjustment just like Walmart USA. Walmart Canada will even price adjust for an item that is out of stock on Walmart.com.
Does Walmart do price adjustments on Black Friday?
No. Walmart does not allow price adjustments for any special event pricing, including Black Friday.
Does Walmart do price adjustments on clearance items?
No. Walmart considers clearance pricing “special event pricing” and therefore does not allow price adjustments for clearance items.