If you have pets, kids, or both, then you’re probably no stranger to how much of a life-saver a good carpet cleaner can be. But most people realistically don’t clean their carpets more than a couple times per year, right?
If you’re interested in renting a carpet cleaner to avoid having to buy one, you have some options to rent one from Walmart.
The first thing to know about renting a carpet cleaner from Walmart is that you’re actually renting it from Rug Doctor.
Rug Doctor has over 30,000 rental locations nationwide, including select Walmart stores, where you can rent carpet cleaning equipment.
To find out if the Walmart near you has a Rug Doctor rental kiosk, you can use Rug Doctor’s rental location search tool here.
Not all Walmart locations offer carpet cleaner rentals, so make sure you check ahead before you go.
How Much Does It Cost?
Prices for renting a Rug Doctor carpet cleaning machine from Walmart vary by type and location.
However, most machines rent for between $35 and $40 per day as of 2022.
You can also rent a spot cleaner for just 4 hours at a rate of $19.99. The other machines must be rented for at least 24 hours, and some locations allow for 48 rentals, which range up to $50.
Here is a detailed breakdown of the rental options and prices, provided by Rug Doctor:
What Types Of Carpet Cleaners Does Walmart Offer?
You can choose from three different carpet cleaners when renting from Walmart:
- Rug Doctor Pro Deep Cleaner
- Rug Doctor Pro Portable Detailer & Spot Cleaner
- Rug Doctor X3 Carpet Cleaner
The Rug Doctor Pro Deep Cleaner is considered the highest quality cleaning machine available for rent at Walmart, which is reflected in the slightly higher price.
Please note that rental options vary by location, so not all models will be available at all participating rental locations.
How To Rent A Carpet Cleaner From Walmart?
Renting a carpet cleaner from Walmart is super easy!
The first thing you’ll want to do is make sure that your local Walmart has a Rug Doctor kiosk. You can check by clicking here and finding the “find your rental location” button. You can also call or visit your local Walmart and ask if they have a Rug Doctor kiosk.
Once you’ve confirmed that your local Walmart offers carpet cleaner rentals, all you have to do is visit your local store, find the kiosk, and follow the steps on the screen to initiate your rental.
The kiosk will guide you through several questions to determine which carpet cleaner, attachments, and cleaning solution best suit your cleaning needs. You will be asked to swipe or insert a credit or debit card, which will be charged for the rental amount once you return your machine.
If you do not return your machine within your allotted time, you will be charged a penalty. Penalty fees are typically the full price of one rental day. The price of a 24-hour rental will be charged to your card for each day you do not return your machine.
Note that attachments and cleaning solution are not included in the basic price of the rental, so you will need to pay extra for a bottle of Rug Doctor carpet cleaning solution. Prices vary by solution type.
Returning A Carpet Cleaner To Walmart
When you are ready to return your machine, make sure that it is clean, intact, and in the same or similar condition it was in when you received it. Here’s a handy video provided by Rug Doctor to help you prepare your machine for a successful return.
Once your machine is clean, return to the Rug Doctor kiosk at your local Walmart and select the return option on the screen. The kiosk will walk you through the process of returning your machine. If you have any questions, you can always ask a Walmart employee to assist you.
Remember that for each additional day that passes beyond your allotted rental time, you will be charged for an additional full rental day.
Rug Doctor typically only allows their machines to be rented for a maximum of 48 hours, but some kiosks only allow for 24-hour rentals.
How To Use A Carpet Cleaner
How to operate your Rug Doctor carpet cleaning machine will vary depending on which model you choose to rent. But rest assured that each carpet cleaning machine is very user friendly and easy to operate.
Check out this video on how to use a Rug Doctor carpet cleaner from Walmart.
Is It Better To Buy A Carpet Cleaner Than To Rent?
Deciding whether to buy or rent a large piece of equipment like a carpet cleaner can definitely be tricky. But there are some key things to consider that will make it easier for you to decide which option is best for you.
If you’re trying to decide between renting or buying a carpet cleaner, consider the following questions:
- How long will you need your carpet cleaner? If you’re only going to need a carpet cleaner for a few hours or a few days at the most, then renting is a great option. Renting a Rug Doctor carpet cleaner from Walmart starts at about $30 per day, so you could theoretically rent for up to 3 or 4 days before exceeding the minimum amount you’d have to spend to buy your own. If you think you’ll need your carpet cleaner for longer than a few days, then you might want to look into your options for buying.
- How often are you planning on using your carpet cleaner? If you only need a carpet cleaner for one major job, then buying your own might not be your best option, especially if it will just end up sitting in storage or being donated when you’re finished with it. On the other hand, if you have a large house, multiple properties, or a lot of pets, then chances are you’ll end up needing a carpet cleaner more often. For those who anticipate they will need a carpet cleaner more than once or twice a year, buying is a good way to go.
- How big of a job are you tackling with your carpet cleaner? If all you need to do is spot clean your home or deep clean one or two carpeted rooms, getting this done in a few days time is realistic. That said, if you have a large, fully-carpeted home, you might end up needing longer than 3 or 4 days to finish all your cleaning. The bigger your space, the more cleaning it will need and the more beneficial it could be for you to own your own carpet cleaner.
- Would buying a carpet cleaner fit into your budget? Carpet cleaners at Walmart start at about $100 for the most basic spot cleaners and range up to about $1000 for professional-grade models. So, depending on what kind of cleaner you’re needing, these machines can be a major investment. If spending a few hundred dollars on a piece of cleaning equipment isn’t in your budget at the moment, then renting is definitely a good way to go.
Does Walmart sell Bissell carpet cleaners?
Yes. Walmart sells a wide range of Bissell carpet cleaners. You can browse options here.
Does Walmart carry carpet cleaner belts?
Yes. Walmart sells replacement belts for vacuums and carpet cleaners starting at around $6.
Does Walmart offer carpet rental coupons?
No. But you can find and print coupons directly from Rug Doctor before you go by clicking here.
Does Walmart lease steam cleaners?
Yes. Some of the Rug Doctor carpet cleaners available for rent at Walmart are considered steam cleaners.
Can extra accessories be rented?
Yes. Rug Doctor rental kiosks offer the option of renting additional accessories for their carpet cleaners.
Renting a Rug Doctor carpet cleaner from Walmart can be a super easy, affordable, and convenient option if you’re only needing a carpet cleaner for a few hours or a couple days.
Rentals start at just $19.99 and range up to $49.99 depending on the model and rental timeframe you choose. Not all Walmart locations offer Rug Doctor rental kiosks, however, so make sure you check before you go.
If you’d rather invest in your own carpet cleaner, Walmart offers a wide variety of options from Rug Doctor, Bissell, and more.