Looking for your first job can be difficult and confusing. One of the reasons why it can be so hard is because many places won’t hire people who are under the age of 18.
So, if you’re 16 or 17 and looking for a job, keep reading to find out what your options are at Walmart.
What Is The Minimum Age To Work At Walmart?
The youngest age you can be to get a job at Walmart is 16. However, many Walmart positions are only available to people 18 years or older.
Keep reading to find out what types of jobs you can qualify for as a minor applying to work at Walmart.
Age Requirements For Work At Walmart
Many retailers have a policy against hiring minors. However, Walmart will hire workers as young as 16 years old.
Walmart workers under the age of 18 can only serve in a handful of positions, such as cashier, sales associate, greeter, or stocker.
The average age range of Walmart employees is 20-30 years old.
Available Entry-Level Positions For 16 Year Olds
The following jobs are available to 16 year olds at Walmart:
- Cashier ($11/hour starting wage) – Cashiers are responsible for ringing up customers at the cash register, handling money and payments, bagging groceries, and more.
- Sales associate ($11/hour starting wage) – Sales associates are responsible for assisting customers on the sales floor, answering questions, keeping products stocked and sorted, etc.
- Greeter ($11/hour starting wage) – Greeters are responsible for greeting customers as they enter the store.
- Stocker ($12/hour starting wage) – Stockers are responsible for keeping the shelves stocked with products.
Walmart’s Hiring Process
Here’s an example of what the Walmart hiring process could look like:
- You find a posting and apply for a job either in person or online
- If your application stands out, you will be contacted by a Walmart associate
- You will be invited to participate in an interview
- If you succeed in your interview, you will be invited to participate in an employee orientation
- Once your orientation is completed, you will be ready to start working
The entire hiring process typically takes between 1 and 2 weeks. However, it could take more or less time depending on need, availability, staffing, etc.
Here is a detailed description of Walmart’s hiring process provided by Walmart.
Does Walmart Hire Part-Time Employees?
Yes. Walmart offers a wide range of positions and opportunities, including both full-time and part-time positions.
During the school year, those under the age of 18 are only legally allowed to work up to 4 hours per day and 20 hours per week.
How much does Walmart pay 16-year-olds?
Walmart typically offers starting employees $11 per hour.
How can you check your application status at Walmart?
To check the status of your application, visit this website and sign in to your account.
Is it hard to get hired at Walmart?
Getting hired at Walmart isn’t particularly difficult, as long as you maintain professionalism throughout your application and interview process.
If you’re a 16 or 17 year old looking for a job, Walmart is a great place to start. Not only can you apply for four different positions, but you can also qualify for the same starting wage as any other entry-level employee.
During the school year, you can only work up to 20 hours per week, but during vacations and holidays, you can legally work up to 48 hours and 6 days per week.