Getting ready for a fun day out shopping but wondering if Target accepts PayPal? Whether you’re gearing up to hit the shops or cozying in for a day of online shopping in your pajamas, we’re here to give you the scoop on whether you can use PayPal to fund your shopping spree.
Does Target accept PayPal?
First off, we’ll just tell it to you straight: Yes! Target accepts PayPal, but only online on Target.com and through their app. One exception to this is that PayPal is not accepted for items sold by Target Plus™ Partners.
While Target does not accept PayPal directly in-store, you can use the NFC (near field communications) or contact-less method to pay via PayPal on your mobile device in-store (instructions below).
What are the advantages?
The main reason people love PayPal is because it allows users to route their payments through a third-party service to avoid compromising vulnerable financial information. If you feel uncomfortable handing over your credit card number every time you want to make an online purchase, then PayPal is a great option for you. It also allows the added benefit of not needing your wallet (in some cases, all you need is a password to log in to your account and pay), and it can also make disputing payment issues a lot easier and quicker, before they ever even show up in your bank statement.
How to use PayPal at Target…
Using PayPal to shop at Target is super simple, and we’re here to walk you through the process step by step. If you have a specific question or if you’re just looking for general information, we’ve got you covered. Keep reading!
…on the Target website or mobile app
Using PayPal on the Target website or app is as easy as using other payment methods like credit and debit cards. Just follow these steps!
- Sign up for a PayPal account – Simply log on to paypal.com and create an account if you don’t already have one.
- Link a valid bank account or credit card to your PayPal account – Once you’ve activated your account, you’ll need to link a valid payment method before you’ll be able to make purchases. Just be aware that linking your cards and accounts can take up to 3 days, so make sure to plan ahead.
- Start shopping! – Whether you’re shopping on Target.com or in the app, go about your shopping as usual and fill your cart to your heart’s desire!
- Select PayPal as your payment method during checkout – During the checkout process, you’ll be given the option to select PayPal as your payment option. Then, you’ll be re-rerouted to PayPal and asked to log in to your account. Once you log in, you’ll be able to select which source you’d like PayPal to use, so make sure you have sufficient funds on your chosen card or account.
- Complete your purchase – Once you’ve told PayPal how you want to pay for your purchase, you’ll be taken back to the Target website or app where you’ll be able to confirm and complete your purchase. PayPal will then charge your card or bank account for the amount paid.
…in Target stores
Using PayPal to pay for Target purchases in-store is a little different than doing it online. The first steps are the same, but the rest of the process is a little different. Here’s a breakdown of exactly how to use PayPal as a contactless payment method at Target stores.
- Sign up for a PayPal account
- Link a valid bank account or card
- Add PayPal to your digital wallet – Depending on what type of phone you have, this part of the process will vary.
- If you have an Android phone and live in the US… you can add PayPal to your Google Pay account as part of your digital wallet. Simply open up Google Pay, select “add payment method,” choose PayPal from the options given, then follow the prompts within the app to link your accounts.
- If you have an iPhone… Unfortunately, Apple Pay and PayPal are not compatible. So, you’ll need to download the PayPal app onto your iPhone instead. From there, you can use PayPal directly as a contactless payment method. Simply open the app, log in to your account, and select the “Scan/Pay” option at the bottom of the screen. Scan the QR code provided by the Target POS system to complete your purchase.
There are a couple of other options for using PayPal in-store as well. If you’re more of a hands-on person and you prefer physical forms of payment, PayPal offers two card options: PayPal Cashback Mastercard® and the PayPal Cash Card. Visit the PayPal website here to learn more.
Does Target accept PayPal Credit in-store?
The options are practically endless when it comes to using PayPal for your Target purchases, and PayPal Credit is yet another convenient way to go, as it is also accepted at Target, both online and in-store. Read on to learn more about this payment option.
What is it?
Unlike the cards we mentioned above, PayPal Credit is an entirely digital credit line extended to PayPal users who have an active account and are at least 18 years old. This is a flexible credit system, so the credit limits depend on the individual circumstances and existing credit factors. As a general rule, PayPal Credit lines can range from $250 to $20,000. While PayPal Credit offers the convenience of allowing you more time to pay for your purchases, the service does charge interest for ongoing balances.
Who is eligible?
Anyone who has a PayPal account and is at least 18 years old is eligible to apply for PayPal Credit. That said, users are subject to credit approval through Synchrony Bank, according to the company’s website. In other words, “Synchrony Bank will review and consider your credit report…prior to opening your account and establishing your credit line.” Learn more via paypal.com.
How to earn Cashback through PayPal
An added bonus to using PayPal’s financial services is the opportunity to earn cash back. The best and most straightforward way to do this is to sign up for the PayPal Cashback Mastercard®. By using this card, you’ll earn 3% cash back on all PayPal purchases and 2% cash back on all other purchases. Learn more by visiting the PayPal website.