Unfortunately, if you live in the United States, Walmart does not accept Apple Pay in any form.
However, if you’re shopping at Walmart Canada, whether in person, online, or via the Walmart mobile app, then you’re in luck! Walmart Canada accepts Apple Pay.
The reason why Walmart doesn’t accept Apple Pay is pretty simple. Walmart has its own digital wallet service called Walmart Pay which competes directly with the Apple app. So, in order to drive more customers into their own app service, Walmart does not allow its customers to pay using Apple Pay.
Because of this, Walmart also does not accept Google Pay, Samsung Pay, or any other competing service.
Can You Use An iPhone to Pay At Walmart?
Even though Walmart doesn’t accept Apple Pay, you can still use your iPhone to pay for your Walmart purchases.
All you have to do is download the Walmart Pay app onto your phone, add your preferred payment method to your wallet inside the app, then open it up at the store when you’re ready to pay for your purchases.
Walmart Pay can be used at any checkout station, including self checkout. When you enter the payment portion of your checkout process, you will see a QR code appear on the self checkout screen above the Walmart Pay option. All you have to do is open your Walmart Pay app on your iPhone or other mobile device, tap the option that says Walmart Pay in the upper left corner, scan the QR code, and follow the prompts to complete your payment.
If you are paying at a traditional register, simply let the cashier know you would like to pay with Walmart Pay, and they will walk you through the rest of the process.
You can also check out this helpful video explaining how to use Walmart Pay.
Other Accepted Payment Methods At Walmart Stores
The following payment methods are accepted at Walmart, Walmart.com, the Walmart app, and Walmart Pay:
- Debit cards and credit cards (including Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express)
- Walmart Capital One Credit Cards
- EBT / SNAP cards (not accepted online in Alaska, Montana, or Louisiana)
- Walmart gift cards (cannot be used to purchase other gift cards)
Click here to view the full list of Walmart’s accepted payment methods.
Is The Walmart Pay App Worth It?
Walmart Pay is a touch-free payment system designed to let you pay for your Walmart purchases without needing your wallet. Because it is an exclusive form of mobile payment, Walmart Pay can only be used to make purchases at Walmart. To learn more about Walmart Pay, click here.
But is Walmart Pay worth it?
Here is a list of benefits to using the Walmart Pay app!
- Receive 5% cash back on your Walmart purchases – If you use Walmart Pay in tandem with a Capital One Walmart Rewards Credit Card, you can receive 5% cash back on qualifying purchases made through Walmart Pay. That’s like getting a 5% discount on everything you buy!
- Never worry about saving receipts – When you make your purchases through Walmart Pay, all of your transactions are tracked and saved. That way, if you ever need to return an item, you’ll have your proof of purchase on hand any time you have your smartphone with you. Easy!
- Track your spending – If you shop at Walmart often, it’s a good idea to use Walmart Pay so that you can quickly and easily check on your monthly expenditures to help you manage your budget.
- Enjoy added security – Unlike some other digital wallet services, Walmart Pay does not employ NFC (near-field communication) technology. NFC has stirred safety and security concerns recently due to its susceptibility to being hacked. Instead, Walmart Pay interacts with Walmart POS systems using signals that do not transmit any financial information, keeping shoppers and their mobile wallets safe.
Where Can You Use Apple Pay?
Even though Walmart doesn’t accept Apple Pay, there are still plenty of other stores that do.
Here’s a list of retail and grocery stores that accept Apple Pay in 2022:
- Ace Hardware
- Best Buy
- Office Depot
- Rite Aid
- Trader Joe’s
Does Walmart self-checkout have Apple Pay?
No. Because Walmart offers its own digital wallet service, Walmart Pay, they do not accept payments from competing services, which includes Apple Pay.
Can you buy a Walmart gift card with Apple Pay?
No. Walmart Gift Cards can only be purchased through Walmart and Sam’s Club, and neither of these retailers accept Apple Pay.
Does Walmart Moneycard work with Apple Pay?
No. Walmart Moneycards are not supported through Apple Pay.
Can you get cashback with Apple Pay at Walmart?
No. The only way to receive the 5% cash back offer through Walmart Pay is to use your Capital One Walmart Rewards Card.
Does Walmart take Apple Pay for money orders?
It’s unclear. Western Union, the company that offers money order services at Walmart, does accept Apple Pay through their mobile services. However, it is unclear whether you can use Apple Pay in person to send a money order through a Western Union location inside of a Walmart store. Chances are, because the Walmart POS systems are not set up to accept Apple Pay, you won’t have much luck.
Unfortunately, Walmart does not accept Apple Pay. However, they do offer their own digital wallet service equivalent called Walmart Pay. This means that you can still make all of your Walmart purchases using your iPhone or Android phone if you wish.
Remember that if you’re in Canada, you can use Apple Pay at Walmart no problem, whether you’re shopping in person, online, or in the app.