If you’ve ever had to save up for a big purchase, then you’ll definitely be excited to learn about Walmart’s layaway program. By allowing customers to pay for large price tag items over time, Walmart Layaway is a great way to afford major purchases even if you can’t pay in full up front.
Unfortunately, the answers aren’t exactly clear when it comes to Walmart Layaway in 2022. While Walmart’s website still proudly advertises their layaway program, the company did not offer Walmart Layaway in 2021 and has yet to confirm whether or not they will bring the program back for the 2022 holiday season.
In this article, we will still give you all the details of the Walmart Layaway program as advertised by Walmart. But keep in mind that only time will tell whether this program will become available again in 2022.
Theoretically, Walmart’s layaway program is still available to all in-store Walmart customers. However, the program has traditionally only operated during the holiday shopping season.
According to Walmart, Walmart Layaway is available in stores during the holiday season only, August 28th to December 14th. Certain store locations offer layaway year-round for jewelry purchases.
It’s important to note that Walmart does not offer layaway online, even during the holidays. However, you can take advantage of their alternative layaway program both in store and online through the “buy now, pay later” Affirm app.
Does Walmart Offer Layaway Payment Plans?
Regardless of whether you’re shopping during the holiday season or any other time of the year, you have the option of choosing a payment plan when making large purchases at Walmart.
Walmart offers payment plans through Walmart Layaway and through their partnership with Affirm.
While Walmart layaway is only available August 28th through December 14th, the store also offers customers the convenience of paying in installments through Affirm at any other time of the year. Affirm is also available for online purchases, which has never been an option through Walmart Layaway.
Affirm is a “buy now, pay later” financial service allowing shoppers to pay for purchases in installments over time. By partnering with Affirm, Walmart makes shopping at their stores more accessible to all customers.
The best thing about paying with Affirm is that as long as you make all of your payments on time, you will never be charged interest or additional fees.
Learn more about Walmart’s partnership with Affirm here and how you could receive a 90-day free trial with Affirm this month!
How Does Layaway At Walmart Work?
To take advantage of Walmart Layaway, simply follow these steps:
- Anytime between August 18th and December 14th, visit a Walmart store of your choice and find the item(s) you wish to purchase through Walmart Layaway.
- Take your item(s) to any register or the customer service desk and let an associate know that you’d like to place your item(s) on layaway (keep in mind that the total of your order must be at least $50 to qualify).
- You will be asked to open up a layaway account using your name, email address, and/or phone number.
- You will also be asked to pay a 10% (or $10, whichever is higher) down payment fee.
- Once your layaway order has been placed, Walmart will keep the item(s), and you will have until December 14th to pay off your order in full and pick up your item(s).
If you would like to use Affirm instead of Walmart Layaway, you can follow these easy instructions provided by Affirm specifically for Walmart shoppers. This will require downloading the Affirm app and creating an account linked to a valid payment method.
Here are the main things to be aware of when taking advantage of Walmart Layaway:
- Walmart Layaway is only available between August 28th and December 14th.
- Walmart does not charge any fees or interest for Walmart Layaway unless you cancel your purchase or if you do not pick up and pay for your purchase in full by December 14th.
- Walmart charges a $10 cancellation fee for all canceled or abandoned layaway orders (does not apply in Maryland, Rhode Island, Ohio, or Washington D.C.)
- Individual items placed on layaway must cost at least $10.
- The total cost of a layaway order must be at least $50.
- All Walmart Layaway orders must be picked up and paid for in full by December 14th, otherwise the items will be returned to inventory and the customer will be charged a cancellation fee.
- Layaway payments can be made at any register in the store where your order was initiated at any time during opening hours.
Here are a few restrictions to be aware of:
- Layaway payments cannot be made at a different store from where your layaway request was initiated.
- Layaway payments cannot be made online.
- Items cannot be put on layaway through Walmart.com.
Is Walmart Layaway Available for All Purchases?
Walmart Layaway is available for the vast majority of purchases made at Walmart, with only a few exceptions.
The items Walmart explicitly lists as qualifying for Walmart Layaway include:
- Electronics (without service plans)
- Small appliances
- Large furniture
- Auto electronics
- Sporting goods (select items)
- Infant toys
- Infant furniture
The exceptions to the Walmart Layaway program include:
- All wireless phones
- Items priced at less than $10 and/or orders totaling less than $50
Can you pay off someone’s layaway at Walmart?
Yes. Walmart accepts “good Samaritan” payments on Walmart Layaway accounts. Any shopper can theoretically pay for any other shopper’s layaway fees.
How much downpayment do you pay on layaway at Walmart?
Walmart Layaway requires shoppers to pay a 10% down payment upfront on all layaway orders. If 10% of the total cost comes to less than $10, the down payment will be rounded up to $10.
How long will customers have to pay off a layaway?
Customers have until December 14th every year to pay off their Walmart Layaway purchases. The full Walmart Layaway window is about 3.5 months.
What are the layaway hours at Walmart?
Layaway orders can be initiated during any Walmart opening hours. Walmart store hours vary by location, but most stores open at either 6 AM or 7 AM and close at either 10 PM or 11 PM. Some Walmart stores stay open 24 hours.
Can you put guns on layaway at Walmart?
This is unclear. Walmart does not list firearms as an exception to their layaway program. However, some sources have claimed that Walmart will not allow customers to place guns on layaway. Similarly, Affirm’s “buy now, pay later” service available through Walmart cannot be used to purchase firearms.
Does Walmart have layaway year-round?
Yes, through Affirm. Walmart’s in-store layaway program, Walmart Layaway, has traditionally only been available for about three months out of the year, leading up to the holiday season. However, Affirm can be used at any time on qualifying purchases, both in store and online.
Walmart Layaway is a bit of a mystery at this point, but if the program comes back to stores in 2022, then it’s a great way to pay for expensive purchases in smaller increments over time.
But even if Walmart Layaway is truly a thing of the past, Walmart shoppers can still take advantage of payment plans through the Affirm app, which can be used for both in-store and online purchases through Walmart as well as many other major retailers.