If you recently received a Walmart gift card as a gift, then you’re probably wondering where you can use it. Are Walmart gift cards universal? Are they accepted at places like Amazon or Target?
Unfortunately, Walmart gift cards are not a widely accepted form of currency.
According to Walmart’s website, their gift cards are only accepted at the following locations:
- Walmart retail stores (including Walmart Fuel Centers, Auto Care Centers, etc.)
- Sam’s Club locations (including Sam’s Club Fuel Centers)
- Select Murphy USA fuel stations
How To Use Walmart Gift Cards?
To use a Walmart gift card for store purchases at a physical retail location:
- Shop as you normally would
- When you’re ready to check out, swipe your gift card through the card reader at the checkout counter (or hand your card to the cashier if a card reader is not available)
- Select “credit” as your payment option
- If the balance on your card is sufficient, your purchase will be approved and you will be asked to sign the receipt printout
To use a Walmart gift card for online purchases on Walmart.com or SamsClub.com:
- Register your gift card at www.walmartgift.com
- Once your card is registered, visit your website of choice and shop as you normally would
- When you’re ready to check out, select “gift card” as your payment method
- Enter the information listed on your gift card (usually found on the back of the card) according to the prompts on your screen
- Confirm your purchase
If you are shopping with a Walmart eGift Card, use the gift card number and PIN you received via your eGift Card confirmation email after purchasing your gift card.
It’s also important to note that even though Walmart gift cards can be used at Sam’s Club, you must also be a Sam’s Club member to shop there. Having a Walmart gift card will not enable you to shop at Sam’s Club without a membership.
If you would like to check the balance of your registered Walmart gift card, you can do so by visiting www.walmartgift.com and entering the gift card number, 3-digit security, and expiration date. Cards that are not registered are not equipped for online gift card balance inquiry.
What Items Can You Buy With Walmart Gift Cards?
You can purchase just about anything with your Walmart gift card at participating locations, with only a few exceptions.
Walmart gift cards cannot be used to purchase:
- Other gift cards
- Tobacco products
Where To Buy Walmart Gift Cards
Some sources claim that Walmart gift cards can be purchased through Sam’s Club and SamsClub.com as well, but we weren’t able to find any evidence for this. As of November 2022, Walmart gift cards are not sold on SamsClub.com, though they may be available at some Sam’s Club locations.
If you’d like to purchase a Walmart gift card, simply visit a Walmart location, Walmart.com, or PayPal, select the gift card design that suits your needs best, and then select the amount you’d like to load onto the card.
Through PayPal, Walmart gift cards can range from $10 to $100. Through Walmart, they start at just $5 and can range up to $500.
Can you receive cash for your Walmart gift card?
No. Walmart gift cards are not redeemable for cash.
Are Walmart gift card resellers safe?
This depends. Some gift card resellers are reliable, but some are not. If you are considering buying resale gift cards of any kind, make sure you choose a reputable company that offers a money-back guarantee and has a customer service department.
Does Walmart give free gift cards?
No. Walmart gift cards must be purchased at Walmart or from Walmart.com.
Can you use a Walmart gift card to buy another gift card?
No. Walmart does not accept gift cards as payment for other gift cards.
Do Walmart gift cards expire?
No. Walmart gift cards never expire.