Thanks to its handy Minute Key kiosks, Walmart offers quick and easy key copy services in most of its stores.
Minute Key kiosks are equipped to copy any simple, flat, all-metal key.
For example, you can copy the following types of keys at a Minute Key kiosk at Walmart:
- House keys
- Garage keys
- Safe keys
- Bike lock keys
- Mailbox keys
- All-metal car keys
What Kind Of Keys Can You Make At Walmart?
Here is a list of keys that can be duplicated at Walmart:
- House keys
- Safe keys
- Lock keys
- All-metal car keys
- Any other key that is flat and made entirely of metal
Here is a list of keys that cannot be duplicated at Walmart:
- Key + key fob combination keys
- Smart keys
- Chip keys
- Any key that involves a combination of metal and plastic
- Any key that involves an electrical or digital component
- Any key that is not flat such as a skeleton key or other antique key
Getting your key copied at a Minute Key kiosk is sure to be affordable, but the prices will vary depending on the type of key and how many copies you’d like to receive.
Depending on your specific order, you can expect to pay between $1.50 and $5 per key when purchasing key copies through a Minute Key kiosk.
You can also buy new car keys from Walmart and then have them cut to your specifications at a locksmith or dealership. Car keys with electric fobs start at just $4.99 on Walmart.com. You can also buy replacement keyless remotes and fobs here starting at $5.95.
How To Get A Key Copy At Walmart?
Getting a copy of your key made at Walmart is super simple.
All you have to do is bring your key and a valid credit or debit card to any Walmart location with a Minute Key kiosk. Find the Minute Key kiosk, then follow the prompts on the screen to complete the process.
Check out this handy tutorial from Peter von Panda on how to copy a key using a Minute Key kiosk at Walmart!
How Long Does It Take To Make A Key Copy At Walmart?
Copying a key using a Minute Key kiosk is impressively fast, and only takes (you guessed it!) about a minute.
Minute Key kiosks can be used any time during Walmart’s opening hours, which vary by location.
How To Know If You Need A Key Copy?
Getting a copy of your key or keys can be a good idea in a variety of situations.
Here are 5 examples of situations you might find yourself in when getting a copy of your key could be useful:
- You need a hide-a-key to stow outside your home – The simplest reason you might need to make a copy of your key is so that you can hide a spare key outside your home to prevent yourself from being locked out.
- You have housemates or tenants who need to be able to enter your home or property – One of the most common reasons for making a copy of your key is to allow others to enter your home or property when they need to. Having housemates, guests, or tenants means needing to have numerous copies of your keys. Being an Airbnb host is also a common reason for needing to have key copies made, especially if you find yourself changing your locks often to ensure security.
- You tend to misplace your keys – If you’re like me, you find yourself losing or misplacing your keys way too often. Having a couple copies of your key can be a great way to ensure that you’re never locked out.
- Your key is getting old and might bend or break soon – If you’ve had your key for a long time, getting a copy made preemptively can prevent you from finding yourself in a situation where you have a bent or broken key. If your key bends or breaks, the process of getting it fixed or replaced will be more complicated, so avoiding this is a good idea.
- Your existing key is beginning to “stick” – As keys age, they accrue small dents and dings that can prevent them from moving smoothly in and out of a keyhole. When this happens, you will start to feel a “stickiness” or stubbornness when attempting to use your key. If this is happening to you, it’s a good idea to get a copy made before your key stops working entirely.
Which Walmart has a Minute Key kiosk?
Minute Key kiosks can be found at many Walmart locations across the country. To find the closest key copy kiosk near you, use this Minute Key location finder.
Can you copy a broken key at Walmart?
No. The Minute Key kiosks at Walmart are not equipped to copy or repair broken keys.
Can you copy a do not duplicate key at Walmart?
No. The Minute Key kiosks at Walmart can identify if a key has been marked “DO NOT COPY” and will not copy these keys.
Does Walmart copy key fobs?
No. The Minute Key kiosks at Walmart are only equipped to copy simple metal keys.
Can Walmart copy a bent key?
No. The Minute Key kiosks at Walmart are only equipped to copy flat keys and cannot copy bent or damaged keys.
Getting a key copy made at Walmart is as easy as bringing your key with you on your next shopping trip. In just about a minute, you can receive a brand new key for under $5. You can also make numerous copies and/or copy multiple different keys.
Unfortunately, Minute Key kiosks are not equipped to copy bent or broken keys, and they also cannot copy keys with fobs, chips, or other electrical components.