We all know what it’s like to end up with an old, worn-out phone or tablet that we can’t use anymore. If you’re like me, you might end up just shoving your old phone in a shoebox somewhere and leaving it on a shelf, thinking you might end up finding a way to recycle it someday.
But did you know that you can actually earn money by trading in your old devices at Walmart? That’s right!
The next time you’re ready to upgrade your phone, tablet, computer, or other device, check out Walmart’s trade-in program to find out how much you might be able to earn toward the cost of a new device.
How Walmart’s Trade-In Program Works
Walmart’s trade-in program is powered by a company called CExchange, which is the leading electronics trade-in service for retailers.
Also known as “Gadgets for Gift Cards,” this trade-in program doesn’t actually get you a new device to replace your old one. Instead, you send in your old device to Walmart, and they’ll provide you with an eGift Card based on their evaluation of your item. The amount you receive back may or may not be enough to purchase a new device, but you can put it toward the cost of purchasing an upgraded device at Walmart if you choose.
To trade in your device through CExchange at Walmart, all you have to do is get a free quote online, ship your device for free to CExchange, and then receive a Walmart eGiftCard that you can use toward the purchase of a new device.
You can even trade in broken devices through the Walmart trade-in program. As long as your device’s model name and number is listed on Walmart’s Gadgets to Gift Cards website, you can trade in your device in exchange for a gift card.
Once you initiate your trade-in process, you can expect the whole process to take between five and seven days. The time can vary based on shipping times, as you will be sending your device to CExchange through the mail.
To view the full list of FAQs for Walmart’s CExchange program, click here.
What Does Walmart Do With Trade-Ins?
If your device is in working condition, Walmart will send your device in for refurbishment and eventually resell it to a new owner at a discounted price. To learn about purchasing refurbished electronic items from Walmart, check out our post about it here.
If your item is broken or cannot otherwise be resold, Walmart will dispose of it in an environmentally responsible way.
7 Things You Can Trade In At Walmart
As of February 2023, Walmart accepts trade-ins of…
- Cell phones
- Game consoles
- Voice-controlled speakers
- Smart watches
- Activity trackers
However, only specific brands and models of these devices are accepted. To check if your device is eligible for trade in through Gadgets for Gift Cards, click here and select the relevant category, then search for your device model.
How To Trade In Your Device
To trade in your device through Walmart’s Gadget to Gift Cards program, follow these steps:
- Visit the Gadget to Gift Cards website to attain a free offer for your device
- Select the product category that applies to your item
- Scroll through the options to find the specific device model you are hoping to trade in
- Once you’ve made your selection, you will be asked a few questions about the condition of your device, any phone accessories you will be trading in, as well as who your service carrier is
- Click “calculate” to receive your offer
- Press “Continue” to accept the offer and move forward with the process
- Next, you will be taken to a page where you can review your selections (make sure that the device model is correct and that you agree to the amount of your offer)
- If you agree to the terms, click “Continue”
- At this point, you will be asked to log in to or create a Walmart CExchange account (do so by entering your email address and choosing a password)
- Once you’re logged in, you will be given a prepaid shipping label which you will need to print out and attach to your package once you’re ready to mail your device (be sure to follow all packing and shipping instructions)
- Once your device has been received and verified, you will receive a Walmart eGiftCard via email for the amount specified in your offer
If your item does not meet the conditions or specifications you selected during your appraisal process, you will be contacted directly via email by CExchange with a new offer. At that point, you can choose to either accept the offer and receive a lower amount than you were initially offered, or you can reject the offer and have your device mailed back to you. Either way, you will not be charged for shipping. To avoid this complication, be sure to enter the most accurate information you can when you follow the steps described above.
Preparing Your Device for Trade-In
If you are trading in a cell phone, laptop, or any other device that houses personal information about you, there are a few things you will want to do prior to sending your device to CExchange.
To prepare your phone for a trade-in, follow these steps:
- Remove all personal data and files from your device by resetting to factory settings
- If you are trading in a cell phone, cancel your cell service with your provider or switch your service to a new device prior to sending in your phone
- To increase the chances of receiving your maximum appraisal amount, clean the outside of your device to remove any dust, hair, smudges, etc.
If you forget to erase your personal data prior to sending your device in, the company is committed to erasing all personal data to protect the privacy of their customers.
How Much Credit Does Walmart Give For Trade-Ins?
Depending on the device you trade in, you could be offered as little as $2 or as much as $700.
The average trade-in amount for an Apple MacBook through CExchange is about $200, while the average amount for other laptop brands is about $150. This amount can go up or down significantly depending on the brand and condition of your computer.
When it comes to smartphones, newer iPhones will get you the most money (about $130 on average), while older models or other phone brands might yield as low as $30.
How much you get for your device will depend on…
- The brand
- How new it is
- Its condition
- Device specs (ex. storage capacity)
- Marketability and resale value
Is Walmart’s Trade-In Program Better Than Competitors?
As far as third-party trade-in services go, Decluttr and Amazon Trade-In are considered the best value and often offer higher trade-in values than Walmart.
You can also try going directly through your manufacturer to get an even better value for your device. For example, Apple has its own trade-in program. Cell service carriers like Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T also offer trade-ins for certain devices when you’re ready to upgrade.
Best Buy even offers instant trade-ins for devices brought directly to a Best Buy location..
Other ways to earn the most possible for your old device are by selling it on eBay or trading it in through ItsWorthMore. While selling your device yourself to an independent buyer might take the most time and effort, it will probably earn you the most money in the end if your device is in good condition.
Unfortunately, there isn’t much feedback online about Walmart’s Gadgets for GiftCards program, making the program seem less popular overall than similar trade-in programs provided by competitors.
Does Walmart trade in video game consoles?
Yes. Walmart’s Trade-In Program accepts game consoles from Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony. Unfortunately, Walmart does not accept Xbox trade-ins.
Can you trade in games at Walmart?
No. The Walmart Trade-In Program does not accept video games. However, you can exchange or return video games as long as you follow the guidelines of Walmart’s return policy. To learn all about returning or exchanging video games at Walmart, check out our post about it here.
Does Walmart do fair trade?
Although unrelated to the rest of this article, Walmart does sell many fair-trade items, including coffee, herbs, and hair and beauty products. You can shop fair-trade items on Walmart.com here.