As two of the largest home improvement retailers in the world, Lowe’s and Home Depot often offer very similar prices on their inventory.
But what happens if you find something for cheaper at Home Depot? Will Lowe’s match the price? Keep reading to find out!
Thanks to Lowe’s generous price matching policy, Lowe’s will absolutely price match Home Depot if they offer an identical item at a lower price.
Price matching can be taken advantage of in person and online as long as the sale meets all of the policy’s requirements. You can read more about Lowe’s Price Promise here.
But Lowe’s won’t just price match Home Depot. They will also price match any local competitor, including places like Ace Hardware, Harbor Freight, and more.
- 1 What Is The Lowe’s Price Matching Policy?
- 2 What Other Stores Does Lowe’s Price Match?
- 3 What Items Are Excluded From Lowe’s Price Matching?
- 4 What Is Lowes’ 30-Day Price Adjustment Guarantee?
- 5 How To Request Price Match Or Price Adjustment at Lowe’s
- 6 Is Lowe’s More Expensive Than Home Depot?
- 7 Other Ways To Save Money At Lowe’s
- 8 FAQs
- 9 Conclusion
What Is The Lowe’s Price Matching Policy?
The Lowe’s Price Promise states that Lowe’s will price match any identical, in-stock item from another local retailer if the item is being offered at a lower price than at Lowe’s.
All you have to do is provide proof of the listed price at the competing supplier at the time of purchase.
The Lowe’s Price Promise even works online! Just call 1-877-465-6937 to validate your price match purchase.
Unfortunately, Lowe’s does not offer post-purchase price matching.
What Other Stores Does Lowe’s Price Match?
Lowe’s will price match any local retailer offering an identical in-stock item for a lower price.
For online purchases, Lowe’s will price match the following companies:
- Home Depot
- Best Buy
- Ace Hardware
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Tractor Supply
What Items Are Excluded From Lowe’s Price Matching?
Despite having a generous price matching policy, Lowe’s does limit the kinds of purchases they will price match.
The following products and services are excluded from the Lowe’s price matching policy:
- Professional services, including labor and installation costs
- Custom products (e.g., custom cabinets, windows, blinds)
- Discontinued, used, refurbished, open-box, clearance, seasonal, closeout or damaged merchandise
- Rebates, free offers, BOGO offers, “Buy More, Save More” offers, sales tax promotions or tax-free events, or specific one-time-only promotions, including seasonal promotions (e.g., Spring Black Friday, Black Friday and various holiday promotions), special events and/or bundle offers
- Discounts available to select groups of customers, such as military or loyalty members
- Volume or wholesale discount pricing offered by competitors (If you’re looking to buy a significant quantity of a specific item, please visit your local store to see if a Lowe’s volume discount is available)
- Pricing from membership-based retail wholesalers
- Third-party marketplace sellers, auction sites or closeout/discount sites (for example, Lowe’s will price-match items sold by Amazon.com but not by a third-party seller on Amazon.com)
- Pricing from bid and auction websites
- Advertising pricing errors or misprints
- Credit terms and finance offers
Lowe’s also notes that their Price Promise can’t be combined with any other Lowe’s offer, promotion, discount or coupon.
It’s also important to note that, surprisingly, Lowe’s stores will not price match prices offered at other Lowe’s stores. They also will not price match online prices offered in other zip codes.
What Is Lowes’ 30-Day Price Adjustment Guarantee?
Unfortunately, in March 2021, Lowe’s did away with their price adjustment policy. While certain Lowe’s locations might still honor the policy, most Lowe’s stores no longer offer post-purchase price adjustments of any kind.
If you would like to take advantage of a sale price after you have already purchased your item from Lowe’s, you will need to return your item, receive a refund, and then purchase the item again at the sale price.
How To Request Price Match Or Price Adjustment at Lowe’s
Unfortunately, price adjustments are no longer available to Lowe’s customers. However, price matching at the time of purchase is still an option.
To request a price match in person:
- Bring a copy of the competitor’s advertised price for the exact item you plan on purchasing (this can either be a paper advertisement or an online advertisement, but it must be from a local retailer)
- When you are ready to purchase your item, show the advertisement to a sales associate and request a price match
- If your item and the advertisement you provide both meet all of the requirements of the Lowe’s Price Promise, you will be granted a price match
To request a price match online:
- Find the item you wish to purchase on Lowes.com and find the competitor’s advertisement of the lower price (be sure the competitor is on Lowe’s list of qualifying retailers, listed above)
- Call 1-877-465-6937 to request a price match
- If your item qualifies for price adjustment, a customer service associate will walk you through the process of completing your purchase
Price matching can only be requested at the time of purchase. Lowe’s will not adjust prices for any reason after a purchase is complete.
Is Lowe’s More Expensive Than Home Depot?
Lowe’s and Home Depot are the two biggest home improvement retailers in the country, and possibly even the world. But how do they measure up?
The prices found at Lowe’s and Home Depot are generally very similar. However, Home Depot is known for being marginally less expensive on certain items, such as paint, ceramic tile, and drywall.
Because Lowe’s is more expensive, it’s easy to wonder whether this retailer will price match their main competitor. Keep reading to find out!
Other Ways To Save Money At Lowe’s
If you’re not able to take advantage of Lowe’s price matching offer, there are still plenty of ways to save money at this popular hardware store.
You can also get 5% off everyday on qualifying Lowe’s purchases when you shop with a Lowe’s Advantage Card or Lowe’s Business Credit Card. If you sign up as a new Lowe’s Advantage member, you can also get 20% off your purchases today!
How many times can you price match at Lowe’s?
Technically, there is no official limit. However, the official policy states that “Lowe’s reserves the right to limit requests to reasonable quantities.”
Does Lowe’s price match manufacturers?
No. Lowe’s will only price match competing retailers. Buying directly from a manufacturer is considered a wholesale purchase and therefore does not qualify as retail.
Does Lowe’s price match plus 10 percent?
No. Despite claims for competing websites, Lowe’s Price Promise does not offer an additional 10% beyond a competitor’s price. Their price matching policy guarantees that they will match the price offered by their competitors if that price is lower than their advertised price, but they will not offer any additional discounts.
Does Lowe’s take Home Depot coupons?
No. Lowe’s will price match Home Depot, but they do not accept Home Depot coupons.
Does Lowe’s price match with other stores?
Yes. Lowe’s will price match any local competitor in addition to a wide range of online retailers.
Does Lowe’s price match with their website or app?
Yes. You can request a price match for an online purchase by calling 1-877-465-6937.
Will Lowe’s price match and give military discounts?
Yes. Lowe’s offers price matching, and they also offer a 10% military discount on eligible items. You can read more about Lowe’s Everyday Military Discount here.
Despite tightening up their policies over the past couple of years, Lowe’s still offers a generous price matching policy that allows customers to get the lowest possible price on their purchases.
Price matching can be taken advantage of for both in-store and online purchases when a qualifying retailer is offering the same item for a lower price. Be aware that clearance, close-out, and promotional offers do not qualify.
Be sure to look over the list of price matching exceptions before you request a price match.