Dieters, piscatarians, low carbers, and fish lovers should head straight to Aldi for their high quality tuna. Tuna makes for a healthy plate, as it is recommended by nutritionists for its high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which may help to reduce omega-6 fatty acids and LDL cholesterol. And, of course it is delicious.
Aldi sells tuna steak, which you can easily find on the frozen foods aisle. While at Aldi, be sure to sample the different types of tuna that the supermarket chains offer.
The cost of Aldi’s twelve ounce packages of frozen Ahi may vary according to location and availability. But here is a price for a reference:
- Oceanrise Yellowfin Tuna – $8.68 per kg
- The Fishmonger Yellowfin Tuna Steak – $3.90 per 360g pack
- Fishmonger Tuna Steaks In Brine – $1.29 per 110g pack
Tuna is a highly nutritious saltwater fish popular among cuisine lovers in restaurants. As one of the most eaten fish globally, different tuna types have graced supermarket shelves for a long time.
Speaking of types, tuna comes in different kinds, such as yellowfin, bigeye, bluefin, and Albacore.
Ahi tuna refers to both yellowfin and bigeye tuna. At Aldi, you will find ahi tuna in the section on frozen seafood.
Who Makes Aldi Tuna Steak?
As a packed product, Aldi Tuna is manufactured by Aldi stores themselves, but the tuna comes from Vietnam.
Aldi Tuna Steak Nutrition
Aldi Tuna Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 100g
Amount per serving
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 0.6g
Saturated Fat 0.2g
Trans Fat 0g
|Total Carbohydrate 0.5g
Dietary Fiber 0.5g
|Vitamin A 0%||Vitamin C 0%|
So, are tuna steaks good for you? Being low on calories yet full of nutrients and minerals, tuna steak is considered a must-eat for you.
Eating tuna steak gives you omega-3 fatty acids, which help lower your blood pressure, enhance normal heartbeat rhythm, and reduce the chances of heart attack and stroke.
Tuna also has vital vitamins such as niacin, which helps in blood circulation, nerve functioning, and the generation of body energy. There’s also potassium that helps lower blood pressure, while the other minerals simply improve body immunity.
Are Aldi Tuna Steaks Good?
The flavor and texture of frozen fresh tuna steak don’t differ from the off-the-boat tuna. You can, therefore, confidently buy from a reputable market such as the Aldi supermarket chains.
Aldi customers on Reddit have rated Aldi tuna steak favorably. Some of them had this to say.
3 Ways To Cook Aldi Tuna Steak
1. Grilling Tuna
You can follow these simple steps to make grilled tuna to satisfy your craving.
- 4 pieces of 1-inch-thick fresh tuna steak (about 2 kg)
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Grease or spray the grill with non-stick cooking oil
- Unless marinated, brush the steaks with olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Place the tuna steaks on the grill and place it directly on the heat
- Cover and grill for 4-6 minutes until the steak starts to flake (ensure it is still pink at the center)
- Turn the stake when halfway through cooking
- Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes and serve
2. Cooking in a Skillet
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 6 thin slices fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1-inch-thick tuna steaks, thawed
- A hot skillet sears tuna well and leaves it moist
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Select a heavy skillet that is enough for the number of tuna steaks you want to cook
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter on the skillet
- Heat the skillet on medium heat till it gets hot up to 140 degrees F (60 degrees C).
- Place the tuna steaks on the skillet, sizzling as you do so
- While uncovered, cook the tuna steaks for 4-6 minutes
- Turn the stakes once during cooking
- Cook until the steaks begin to flake while remaining pink in the center
3. Baking Tuna Steak
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (try Caraluzzi’s Sea Salt and Five Pepper Blend)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 small tuna steaks
- ½ cup olive oil (try Caraluzzi’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- Heat the oven to 450°F (232°C)
- Brush the tuna steak with olive oil
- Place the tuna steak on a greased baking sheet in a single layer
- Bake the steaks in 4-6 minutes or until the steaks flake
- Ensure the center is pink to avoid over-drying
How Do You Know If Tuna Steak Is Bad?
After cooking, tuna steak can stay for 3-4 days in the fridge and up to four months in the freezer. However, cooked tuna can still go bad, and therefore, you should pay attention to the telltale signs to avoid consuming it.
A sour smell is an obvious sign that your tuna steak is no longer good for consumption. Also, if it has a slimy texture or dull color, please discard it since consuming it can lead to illness. Generally, discard tuna with a funny appearance and an off smell.
How Do You Thaw Frozen Tuna Steaks?
Cooking defrosted tuna always yields better results. However, you must thaw frozen tuna safely to avoid contaminating it.
You can defrost tuna using a refrigerator, microwave, or cold water. Let’s examine each of these ways in detail.
1. Thawing in Refrigerator
Thawing in a refrigerator is the safest method because it prevents the growth of bacteria on the food surface which, in turn, prevents contracting food-borne diseases after consumption. Besides, tuna thawed in the refrigerator can stay for two days or more after thawing before cooking or be frozen again.
- Remove the tuna from the freezer
- Ensure it’s tightly wrapped either in a plastic wrapping or in its sealed package.
- Put the tuna on a dish to absorb moisture from defrosting
- Place the tuna in the refrigerator
- Let it thaw for at least 12 hours.
2. Thawing in Cold Water
Thawing tuna in cold water is also a convenient method if access to a refrigerator is restricted. However, tuna defrosted this way must be cooked immediately.
- Remove tuna from the freezer
- Unwrap and put tuna in a waterproof plastic bag
- Put the wrapped tuna in a bowl full of cold water with its top on top of the water to avoid letting water in
- Let the tuna thaw for about one hour, changing the water after 30 minutes
3. Thawing in Microwave
Tuna defrosted in a microwave should also be cooked immediately after thawing.
- Remove tuna from the freezer
- Unwrap it
- Put tuna on the microwave-safe plate
- Place it in the microwave and turn it on
- Set the microwave to medium heat
- Allow tuna to defrost for 30 seconds
- Turn over the tuna to defrost on the second side for 30 seconds at medium heat.
Can You Eat Aldi Tuna Steak Raw?
Yes, you can eat raw Aldi tuna and reap its abundant health benefits. For the record, raw tuna has plenty of healthy fats and proteins and is low on carbs. Besides, raw tuna brings Omega-3 fatty acids, which help improve your heart health. You also stand a higher chance of boosting your immune system because of the fish’s minerals, such as zinc, manganese, and vitamin C.
While eating raw tuna is a common thing and is allowed, you must handle any raw fish with care avoid ingesting harmful parasites. Also, note that tuna, an aquatic animal, has high levels of mercury, which can affect your health too! Specifically, eating raw tuna is not recommended for pregnant women and people with compromised immunity.
Does Aldi Sell Sushi-Grade Tuna?
Yes, Aldi’s AhiTuna Steak is sushi grade.
Should Tuna Steak Be Raw in the Middle?
Yes, a well-cooked tuna steak should be raw in the middle to ensure the steak remains succulent and tender. Cooking beyond this level will make it dry because it’s severed from the fish’s login area, which is delicate and lean.
What Is the Difference Between Ahi Tuna and Yellowfin Tuna?
Generally speaking, Ahi tuna is a type of yellowfin tuna. However, the main difference between ahi tuna and yellowfin tuna is that ahi tuna is smaller than yellowfin tuna. Also, ahi tuna meat is reddish, while yellowfin tuna has pinkish meat. Finally, while yellowfin tuna can weigh up to 300 pounds, ahi tuna weighs almost up to 400 pounds.
Does Aldi Have Ahi Tuna?
Yes, you can buy ahi tuna at Aldi. These specially selected tuna steaks offer a delicious taste to satisfy your craving, whether grilled, panned, or baked.