Target stores are known for their great products and good deals. Target stores can also be great places to work. Folks from all walks of life have found meaningful employment at Target stores. Finding employment at Target is not a complicated endeavor. However, it pays to know what to expect when applying for a job at Target. The following discussion will provide insights on successfully navigating the recruitment waters at Target.
Minimum Age Requirement to Work at Target
The minimum age requirement to work at Target stores is 16. The minimum age requirement for jobs at a Target Distribution Center is 18.
Please note that some states have a minimum age requirement set at 18 (i.e., West Virginia, Nevada, and Georgia). Other states have minimum age requirements set at 14 (North Carolina, Nebraska, and Maryland). However, Target employs members that are at least 16 years of age. The US Department of Labor has guidelines and age limits and restrictions by state available here.
Also, applicants must provide proof of legal authorization to work in the United States.
Younger applicants can find Jobs at Target stores working on the sales floor in departments such as apparel and accessories, beauty, and electronics. These positions are typically part-time ones as they must be outside school hours (i.e., evenings and weekends).
What Are Entry Level Positions at Target?
Entry-level positions at Target generally involve working on the sales floor at a Target store location, Distribution Center, or corporate office. Entry-level positions are paid by the hour and are typically part-time positions. Other entry-level positions include backroom members, cashiers, pharmacy attendants, maintenance technicians, mechanics, and clerical positions at business offices.
Qualifications of Young Applicants at Target
Young applicants at target must furnish the required legal documentation to complete the recruitment process. Here is a list of the necessary documentation requested during the application process:
- A social security number.
- Permanent street address.
- Contact information (email and phone number).
- Information on educational background.
- Information on previous employment experience.
- Commitment to start within 60 days of application completion.
Applicants have 96 hours to complete the application process from start to finish. Applications can be submitted in person at any Target store location or Distribution Center. For online applications, please start here. The site displays jobs by location and position. The link to hourly entry-level positions is here.
What Is the Target Hiring Process?
There are two ways to apply for a job at Target. The first is at any Target store location. Second, applications can be submitted online. Here is how to apply:
At a Target Store Location:
- When applying at a Target store location, applicants must look for the electronic hiring form generally located at a red-colored kiosk.
- Applicants need a valid email address to create an account.
- Then, applicants must fill out the electronic application form. It takes about an hour.
- Next, applicants must submit their required paperwork.
- Lastly, applicants can take a phone call from a hiring manager on the spot or choose to receive it at a later date.
When the applicant receives the call from the hiring manager, the hiring manager will either invite the applicant for an interview or say thank you for the application and respectfully pass.
- First, start the application process here.
- Next, click on “create an account” or “login” after creating one.
- Then, fill out the required information on the application form.
- After, upload the required documentation.
- Lastly, hit “submit” to send the application form.
Applying online takes about 15 to 30 minutes. Applicants can choose to receive a phone call at once or at a later date from a hiring manager.
Please note the application form allows applicants to upload a resume file or provide a link to a LinkedIn profile.
Once the application has been submitted, applicants can review their application’s status here at any time.
Also, please note the Target application process requires the following:
- A background check following the applicant’s acceptance of a conditional job offer.
- Some roles may require a drug test. Drug screening follows acceptance of a conditional job offer
What Are the Benefits of Working at Target?
Target offers several benefits to its staff. These benefits range from health to financial incentives. Here is a breakdown of benefits Target employees are eligible to receive:
- Medical and pharmacy benefits
- Dental benefits
- Vision eyewear coverage
- Critical illness, accident, and hospital indemnity coverage
- Programs to promote employee wellbeing
- 20% wellness discount
- 401(k) plans
- Paid vacation leave
- Personal wellbeing time
- Advanced payday
- Family leave
- 10% employee discount at stores and Target.com
- Healthcare and daycare spending account
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- ID theft protection
- Annual bonus scheme
- Debt-free education assistance
- Access to Target Credit Union
- Additional discounts on gym memberships, vacation packages, child care, etc.
- Career development
- Learning and development resources
- Leadership development programs
- Debt-free education assistance programs
- Coaching schemes
- Mentoring programs
- Active participation in community events
- Debt-free education programs at top-tier schools
- High school completion, college prep, and English language learning programs
- Degree and certificate courses in various areas.
- Free personalized coaching sessions.
- Tuition assistance for applicable programs.
How much experience do you need to work at Target?
Experience depends on the position. Entry-level positions such as sales floor members and cashiers don’t typically require experience. Other positions, such as maintenance staff, may require specific training and experience.
What is the hourly wage of a 16-year-old in Target?
Starting wages for full-time and part-time members at Target stores are $15 per hour in the US.
How much do Target part-time workers earn?
Part-time workers at Target earn $15 an hour. Their weekly and monthly payment totals depend on the number of hours worked each week or month.
How old do you have to be to work as a packer at Target?
Packers working at a Target Distribution Center must be 18 years old.