If you’re a parent to small children, then you know that not all diapers are created equally. And sometimes, you just need to cut your losses and say good riddance to the diapers that just aren’t working for your little one. To find out if you can return or exchange diapers at Target, keep reading.
The first thing to know is that according to Target’s official return policy, you can return or exchange most unopened items in new condition within 90 days of purchase. And yes, this includes diapers. As far as we can tell, there are no pandemic-related exceptions to this policy.
Can You Return Opened Diapers?
Now, the real question is: what if the package has already been opened? But the answers aren’t as clear as we had hoped. According to Target’s return policy, items that have been opened or damaged “may be denied a refund or exchange.” But nothing is set in stone. In other words, it’s up to whoever you end up speaking to at Target. There’s a chance you’ll be able to return your diapers, but there’s also a chance you’ll be turned down.
Can You Return Diapers To Target Without A Receipt?
The answer here is similar to the question above. According to Target’s return policy, returning items without a receipt means being at the mercy of the Target employee you speak with on the day of the return. If it’s been less than 24 hours since your purchase, they’ll be able to look the transaction up in their system as proof of purchase, but if more time has passed, it will just be up to the discretion of the employee whether or not to accept your return.
Can You Return Diapers To Target After 90 Days?
Officially, no. Target’s return policy only guarantees returns and exchanges for up to 90 days. If more time has passed, it’s still worth a try, but there’s a chance your return attempts will be denied.
How To Return Diapers At Target
Returning anything at Target is super easy, as long as you have your proof of purchase and it’s been less than 90 days since your purchase. If so, just follow these steps to complete your return:
- Bring your receipt and the item you wish to return to your local Target store
- Find the guest services desk and let the employee know that you would like to return your item
- Provide your proof of purchase and explain why you would like to return your item
- If your item is unopened and in new condition, your return will likely be accepted right away and your original payment method will be refunded with the full amount of your purchase
- If your item has been opened or otherwise damaged, if you don’t have a receipt, or if it has been more than 90 days since your purchase, the employee will assess whether or not to approve your return
To return diapers purchased on Target.com or through the Target app, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Target.com account or open the Target app on your mobile device
- Select “Orders” (Target.com) or “Purchases” (Target app)
- Locate and select the order you would like to return
- Select “Return an item”
- Select either “Return to store” or “Return by mail”
- If you choose to return your item to a Target store, you will be provided with a return barcode that you will need to bring with you when you make your return
- If you choose to return your item by mail, follow these steps:
- Select the item you would like to return
- Select a reason for the return
- Select “Replace item” or “Refund item”
- Select shipping address
- Click submit
- Print shipping label
- Attach the label to the outside of your packaged item and drop off at any authored UPS location
For a more detailed look at Target’s return-by-mail policy, visit this page on their website.
Does Target Do Diaper Exchange?
Yes. Target’s exchange policy follows the same terms as its return policy. As long as your item was purchased within 90 days, is unopened, and can be verified with proof of purchase, you will be able to exchange your item for another item, regardless of brand or size.
Overall Return Experience At Target
When it comes to major retailers, there’s a wide range of experiences and guidelines on return policies. Some companies are known for being sticklers while others are famous for their generosity. Target is, in fact, widely known for having one of the most generous return policies among major retailers. According to US News, Target ranks next to Nordstrom and Costco as a company with one of the most stellar return policies in the world.
Can you exchange diapers for a different size without a receipt?
Exchanges without a receipt are tricky. There is a chance that you will be able to complete the exchange, but it all comes down to the employees working at the Target you visit. If it’s been less than 90 days since your purchase and if the package is unopened, then there’s a fairly good chance you will be able to exchange your diapers for a different size.
Can you return diapers purchased in a different store to Target?
No. Target does not accept returns of items purchased from other retailers. This is a major reason why Target’s official return policy requires customers to provide proof of purchase for returns and exchanges.
Can you immediately get a cash refund on a cash purchase?
Yes. If you paid in cash for your item originally, then you will be refunded in cash at the time of your refund. If you complete your refund in person, then you will leave the store with cash in hand.
Is there a return limit at Target?
Technically, no. Customers with receipts and who make their returns within 90 days of purchase should not encounter any limits to how much merchandise they can return. On the other hand, each Target store reserves the right to place limits on returns and exchanges for any single customer.
Overall, it seems pretty clear that Target has an amazing return policy and that you shouldn’t have much problem returning or exchanging your diapers to this retailer. Just make sure that you hold onto your receipts and that you get back to the store to make your exchange within 90 days of purchase.