Apple Pay has revolutionized the shopping experience for millions of users in the U.S. It has more than 90% market share in the country, with many people activating it daily. Instead of fumbling around with cash and looking for your credit cards in your wallet, you can easily use your iPhone to make payments.
Many big corporations have adopted this digital payment technology, and some even offer a percentage off for their Apple customers. So, does Costco take Apple Pay?
Costco started accepting Apple Pay on August 20, 2018.
You can use Apple Pay at any Costco store in the U.S., Costco gas stations, and food courts as long as they have an NFC reader. You can also use Apple Pay with the Costco mobile app to shop online.
However, Costco will only accept this payment method if you have a Visa Card linked to your Apple Pay wallet.
Can You Buy Costco Gas With Apple Pay?
Costco Customer Service does not list Apple Pay as an approved payment method at gas stations. However, we found out that US Costco gas stations accept Apple Pay. As long as they have an NFC reader and a Visa card is connected to your wallet, you can use Apple Pay for your purchase.
Can You Use Apple Pay At Costco Online?
Yes, you can use Apple Pay on their online store as long as you have an iPhone or Apple Watch.
How To Use Apple Pay at Costco
Using Apple Pay at Costco is easy.
Tell the cashier that you will pay with Apple Pay when you are at the checkout lane. Bring your phone next to the NFC Card reader and hold your finger on the home button until you feel a vibration. If using an Apple Watch, double click the side button and hold it near the NFC card reader until it vibrates and beeps. You will receive a notification confirming your payment.
Setting Up Your Cards
Apple Pay works with credit and debit cards providers, including Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. However, Costco has an exclusive agreement with Visa; hence they do not accept other credit cards in their stores.
To add a card to your Wallet;
- Tap the Add button in the wallet app.
- Press on Debit or Credit Card.
- Tap Continue.
- Follow the steps and choose the card issuer when prompted.
- Verify the information.
- If you have a paired Apple Watch, you can add the card with these steps.
3 Methods of Apple Pay at Costco
There are three methods you can use to pay at Costco. They include:
- Touch ID
- Place your finger on the home button to verify the purchase. It activates Touch ID, which recognizes your fingerprint and authorizes your payment.
- Keep your phone close to the reader until the checkmark appears.
- Face ID
- Double click the side button to use your default card.
- Look directly at your iPhone to verify the purchase. This activates Face ID, which recognizes your face and allows your payment.
- Hold your phone near the reader and wait for a checkmark to appear on display.
- Apple Watch
- Double-click the phone’s side button.
- The default card will open automatically.
- If you need to use another card, scroll down and select it.
- Place the Apple Watch display near the contactless reader until you feel a gentle tap and hear a beep.
- Payment will be successful.
Apple Pay for Costco Instacart
Apple Pay is now available for Costco customers who make orders through Instacart, allowing users to shop for groceries and have them delivered.
Here is how to use Apple Pay on Costco Instacart:
- Log into the Instacart account.
- Select your local Costco store.
- Add the items you want to buy to your cart.
- Proceed to checkout. Choose Apple Pay as your payment method.
- The next screen prompts you to verify your identity by entering a code sent via SMS or email. Once that is done, make sure everything looks correct (billing and shipping address) and proceed with the payment.
- Confirm via Face ID or Touch to complete payment.
- Wait for delivery.
Benefits Of Using Apple Pay
Here are the benefits of using Apple Pay:
- It is safe and secure because you don’t give your card number to the cashier. Apple also does not monitor your purchase, hence giving you privacy.
- It is easy to set up. You add your cards to the Wallet app on your iPhone in minutes, and they will be ready for use.
- It is more convenient than using your credit or debit card, and you don’t have to take the card out of your wallet and can pay for your purchases quickly.
Other Payment Methods Accepted at Costco
Costco allows customers to pay for their purchases using other payment methods besides Visa credit cards. These include:
- All Visa Cards.
- The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi.
- Personal checks from current Costco Members.
- Business checks from current Costco Business Members.
- Traveler’s checks.
- Most PIN-based Debit/ATM Cards.
- EBT cards
- Costco Shop Cards*
- Mobile Payment (Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay)
Does Costco Charge Fees When Using Apple Pay?
There is no fee charged to use Apple Pay in stores, at Costco.com, or on the Costco app.
Does Costco have Apple Pay limits?
Costco has no limit when using Apple Pay. You can use your card as many times as you want in a single transaction.
Does Costco accept Apple Pay with Mastercard?
Costco only accepts Apple Pay with Mastercard in Canada; U.S stores only accept Visa Card options.
Many companies have incorporated Apple Pay as a payment option. Costco accepts Apple Pay, but only if you have Visa Cards in your wallet. Using Apple Pay is effective and fast, offering a smooth experience for shoppers. Let us know your experience with this service in the comments section.