If you’re an existing Sam’s Club member or someone who’s considering becoming a member, then you’re probably looking into all of the perks of getting to use Sam’s Club Fuel Center. The prices are infamously cheap, but is the fuel quality good? Keep reading to find out if Sam’s Club gas is Top Tier.
Is Sam’s Club Gas Considered Top Tier?
Top Tier gasoline is specially formulated to clean your engine, help your car run like new, and maximize fuel economy. This type of gasoline is blended with several different types of detergents designed to clean your engine as it runs and contribute to the overall health and maintenance of your vehicle.
Unfortunately, Sam’s Club does not carry Top Tier gas.
But rest assured, while Sam’s Club gas is not Top Tier, it is still high quality and comes from the same local refineries as the gas you’ll find at any other station, like Chevron or Shell.
Sam’s Club has its own additive package that they add to their fuels, and all Sam’s Club fuel can be considered safe and appropriate to use in your vehicle.
Benefits Of Sam’s Club Gasoline
The number one benefit of buying gas at Sam’s Club is that it’s so cheap!
Because places like Sam’s Club and Costco can buy fuel in bulk from refineries, they save as a wholesaler and then pass those savings on to the consumer.
For example, as of July 2022, a gallon of regular unleaded fuel from the Sam’s Club Fuel Center in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida, costs $3.99. A gallon of the same grade of fuel from the Petro Express Gas Station nearby costs $4.10.
Another benefit of buying Sam’s Club fuel is that they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. This means that if you are not satisfied with your fuel purchase at Sam’s Club, you might be able to receive a refund.
Some drawbacks of using Sam’s Club Fuel Center include:
- Long lines – Even though Sam’s Club Fuel Center is not open to the general public, more and more people are flocking to this members only fuel supplier to take advantage of the low prices. So, it’s best to avoid going to Sam’s Club for gas during the busy hours of the day.
- Cash isn’t accepted – It’s true. Sam’s Club Fuel Center only accepts card and contactless payments, including all major credit cards, any Sam’s Club card, the Sam’s Club Scan & Go app, or a Walmart rewards card.
What Kind Of Gas Does Sam’s Club Sell?
Sam’s Club sells regular, premium, and diesel fuel.
All of the fuels sold at Sam’s Club come from local refineries and are mixed with Sam’s Club’s proprietary additive blend.
Sam’s Club offers 87 octane regular fuel and 91 octane premium fuel.
Is Sam’s Club Gas Considered The Cheapest?
While Sam’s Club gas is certainly considered among the cheapest available in the nation, it’s not necessarily the cheapest overall.
According to a survey conducted in 2017 and reported by Business Insider, Costco beat out all of its competitors when it came to gas prices, winning out at the cheapest gas supplier in the nation at the time.
In 2021, Motor Biscuit reconfirmed this finding, explaining that Costco gas still reigns supreme (no pun intended) when it comes to cheap fuel.
Sam’s Club, on the other hand, might offer lower prices in certain locations. But overall, their prices vary quite a bit compared to Costco’s consistently low prices.
Buying gas at Costco also has some other major benefits, including the fact that Costco’s Kirkland Signature gasoline exceeds EPA (environmental protection agency) standards by including five times the minimum detergent requirements. Costco gasoline is Top Tier, resulting in fewer emissions and engine carbon deposits.
How To Buy Gas At Sam’s Club
Buying gas at Sam’s Club is pretty straightforward.
Here’s everything you need to know:
- Become a member – First, make sure you’re an active Sam’s Club member. While there are a few exceptions, the vast majority of Sam’s Club Fuel Centers will only sell fuel to Sam’s Club members.
- Find a Fuel Center – Using the handy “Find a club” tool, you can find out where the nearest Sam’s Club fuel center is.
- Decide how you’re going to pay – Unfortunately, Sam’s Club Fuel Centers do not accept cash, so you’ll need to make sure to have a valid debit or credit card or some other form of payment accepted at Sam’s Club.
- Fill up – That’s really it. Once you have your membership and payment method in hand, all you have to do is drive to your nearest Sam’s Club Fuel Center, choose the grade of fuel appropriate for your car, and fill up. Easy!
Sam’s Club Gas Station Hours
Sam’s Club Fuel Center hours vary by location.
However, most Sam’s Club Fuel Centers are open at the following times:
Monday – Saturday: 6am – 9pm
Sunday – 9am – 7pm
You can read more about Sam’s Club’s standard Fuel Center information here.
What Payment Methods Are Accepted At Sam’s Club?
There are many different ways to pay for gas at Sam’s Club, including:
- Debit cards or credit cards (including Walmart Credit Cards)
- Gift cards (Sam’s Club gift cards or Walmart gift cards)
- Sam’s Club Scan & Go mobile app
Unfortunately, because there are no POS (point of sale) registers at Sam’s Club Fuel Centers, customers cannot pay for their gas with cash.
Can you get gas at Sam’s Club without your membership card?
No. Sam’s Club gas stations are for members only and require proof of membership to purchase fuel and other items and services. However, there are a handful of Sam’s Club Fuel Centers that are located next to Walmart stores that are open to the public.
Can you fill gas cans at Sam’s Club?
Yes. As a rule, it is legal to fill gas cans at any gas station, as long as it is done properly and safely. Gas cans should always be set in a stable place on the ground while being filled and closed securely with a locking lid before transport.
Can you get gas after Sam’s Club closes?
Unfortunately not. Sam’s Club gas stations do not operate after closing hours. Most Sam’s Club Fuel Centers close at 9pm during the week and 7pm on Sundays.
What gas stations can you use your Sam’s Club card at?
Sam’s Club credit and gift cards can be used at Sam’s Club Fuel Centers and Walmart Fuel Stations. If you are a Sam’s Club Mastercard holder, you can use your card at any gas station that accepts Mastercard.
Does Sam’s Club premium gas have ethanol?
Sam’s Club does not specify whether their fuels contain ethanol or not. However, 98% of fuel sold in the US contains about 10% ethanol, so it is likely that Sam’s Club gas contains ethanol.
Sam’s Club is one of the biggest suppliers of low-cost gasoline and diesel in the country. If you have a Sam’s Club membership, then you can take advantage of these low prices wherever Sam’s Club Fuel Centers are located. Just remember that Sam’s Club Fuel Centers only accept card or contactless payments, so you won’t be able to pay in cash. If you’re looking for even cheaper fuel prices, consider becoming a Costco member.