What could be better than a treat that’s both savory and unique? Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes are the ideal treat when you want to get something tasty and easy to prepare. Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes are just the thing you need to please even the most demanding tastes.
Here is a detailed description of the world-renowned Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes.
Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes are a type of Chinese flatbread that is seasoned with oil and minced scallions. These pancakes are fried, so they have a crispy texture on the outside while the inside is soft and chewy. Traditional pancakes are prepared from the batter. However, Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes come from though. This difference explains why their texture isn’t quite the same as traditional breakfast pancakes.
Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes generally retail for about $2.49. However, the price may range from $2.49 to about $4.50, depending on the location. Each package generally contains four to six individual pancakes. These wonderful pancakes are in the frozen section of most supermarkets. Large chains such as Walmart often carry them. However, purchasing them online may be a challenge.
While Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes have become commonplace in America, they have a distinct Asian feel to them. These fabulous treats are originally known as “Cong you bing” and originate from China. In short, Scallion Pancakes are “green onion pancakes” that resemble flatbread more than traditional pancakes. Variations abound specifically related to fillings, toppings, and seasoning.
What Is in Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes?
Trader’s Joe’s Scallion Pancakes include the following ingredients:
- Unbleached wheat flour
- Garlic powder
- Baking powder
- Corn starch
- Green onions
- King oyster mushrooms
- Soybean oil
- Soy sauce
Ingredients may vary according to individual recipes and variations. Some recipes include other vegetables or pieces of meat.
Are Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes Healthy?
On the whole, Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes are healthy. They contain several vegetables that contain a good dose of vitamin A. Other vitamins include vitamin D and minerals such as calcium, iron, and potassium.
However, please note these tasty treats are fried. So, they do contain oil, generally soybean oil. Each serving (roughly 100 grams) contains 160 calories, 60 of which come from fat. Also, they are relatively low in sodium and contain about 3 grams of protein.
Best Ways to Cook Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes
There are various ways to prepare Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes:
- The most common way to prepare these scallion pancakes is by frying them on the stovetop.
- A large frying pan is needed since Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes are about seven inches in diameter.
- Add a tablespoon of cooking oil to a nonstick frying pan.
- Place on medium heat.
- Wait for the oil to heat.
- Place one pancake in the frying pan.
- Cook for about two minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Total time is about five minutes per pancake.
- Remove and repeat the process with the remaining pancakes.
- An air fryer is also a popular way of preparing these delicious pancakes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then, place pancakes in the air fryer.
- Cutting may be needed to fit in the air fryer, depending on the side of the air fryer.
- Cook for about four to six minutes until outside is golden.
- The pancakes can also be baked.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place pancakes in a tray lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 5 to 7 minutes until golden on one side.
- After, flip over and bake for another 5 to 7 minutes until golden on the other side.
- First, lay enough oil to cover the pancake and heat until boiling.
- Then, drop the pancakes in for about five minutes on medium fire.
- Remove when pancakes are golden on the outside.
- Repeat with the next pancake.
- Total cooking time is about 3 to 5 minutes.
Please note that Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes are not suitable for microwaving.
What Do You Eat with Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes?
Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes go well with the following foods:
- Steam Bao Buns.
- Barbecue Pork.
- Sesame Noodles.
- Soft Pulled Chicken.
- Sweet and Sour Chicken.
- Chicken Kebabs.
- Soy sauce (dip).
- Black Vinegar sauce (dip).
Please note that soy and black vinegar sauces are great dips to go along with other foods such as pork or chicken.
Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancake Recipes
Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes come in a variety of recipes. Here is a list of the most common ingredients:
- Green onions
- King oyster mushrooms
Variations include celery, white onions, bell peppers, and other kinds of mushrooms. Meat can also be included depending on individual tastes.
Some scallion pancake recipes include eggs. Adding eggs to this recipe makes it seem like an omelet. Adding eggs creates a crispy outer shell on the pancake.
Here are some great recipes you can try at home:
Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes Reviews
Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes are a great food thanks to their versatility. They can be served as a side dish or snack. They can also be a standalone dish or an appetizer.
They go very well with just about any type of drink. Plus, these great pancakes don’t require extensive preparation. They taste very well and are a healthy but tasty alternative.
Here are opinions about Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes:
Are Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes Vegan?
No. Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes are not vegan because they contain eggs. There are, however, vegan alternatives as they don’t contain eggs. Check ingredients to ensure a vegan recipe.
Are Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes Vegetarian?
Yes. Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes do not contain meat in them. However, they do contain animal products such as eggs.
Are Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes Gluten-Free?
No. Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes contain regular white flour. Moreover, the package does not specify the use of gluten-free dough.
Can You Microwave Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes?
Yes, Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes can be microwaved after cooking to heat up. However, the pancakes cannot be cooked using a microwave.
Can You Bake Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes?
Yes, Trader Joe’s Scallion Pancakes can be baked. They can also be cooked using an air fryer. However, baking takes about 15 minutes, whereas frying takes about 5 minutes.