If there’s one thing Trader Joe’s does really well, it’s bringing us affordable and easy-to-prepare entrees from cuisines around the world.
We’re personally fond of Trader Joe’s Asian-inspired frozen foods with Trader Joe’s Orange Chicken at the top of the list— but another yummy option that’s often overlooked is Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken.
Kung Pao Chicken is a popular Chinese-style (Sichuan) dish that’s stir-fried with chicken, peanuts, and vegetables. The sauce is sweet and savory, and depending on who makes it, can have a bit of a kick thanks to peppercorns and chilis, which are traditionally used in the chicken dish.
Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken is described as a “Savory dish of dark meat chicken and mixed vegetables in a spicy soy-ginger sauce”. The spice level is medium.
How Much Is Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken?
As of this posting, a bag of Trader Joe’s frozen Kung Pao Chicken is $5.99. Prices may vary by store location.
Where is Kung Pao Chicken Located in TJ Stores? Can you buy it Online?
As with the majority of Trader Joe’s international entrees, Kung Pao Chicken can be found in the frozen foods section with other Asian favorites.
At the moment, this product can not be purchased online and Trader Joe’s does not have delivery nor do they participate in Instacart or other delivery services.
Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken dark meat chunks: chicken dark meat chunks, whole eggs, soybean oil, water, cornstarch, chili powder, salt, white pepper, ginger, garlic, and green onion.
- Vegetable packet: green bell pepper, red bell pepper, brown onion, fried dry chili, and water chestnut.
- Peanuts packet: fried peanuts (peanuts, peanut oil)
- Sauce packet: water, sugar, soy sauce (soy, wheat), vinegar, modified corn starch, lime juice, salt, ginger, garlic, and green onion
Contains eggs, soy, wheat and peanuts.
Side Dishes That go well With Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken:
- White or brown rice
- Fried rice
- Cauliflower rice
- Stir-fry vegetables
- Green Beans
- Snow peas
Kung Pao Chicken Nutrition Facts
How Many Servings are in Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken?
There are four servings in each 1lb 7oz bag of Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken.
Each serving size is one cup, for a total of four cups of prepared Kung Pao Chicken per bag.
Is Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken Healthy?
There are very few frozen convenience foods on that market that would be considered healthy. So no, Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken is not “healthy” by traditional standards, especially with the sodium content.
However, eaten in moderation and paired with extra veggies or brown rice, it can be enjoyed as part of a healthy diet.
How To Cook Trader Joe’s Frozen Kung Pao Chicken?
Stir fry is the commended cooking method for Trader’s Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken.
- Heat one teaspoon of vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Add chicken and stir fry until warm and golden, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add vegetables and continue to stir until they soften and color, about 3 minutes.
- Once vegetables warm through add sauce and stir to cover and warm.
- Add peanuts and toss for one minute longer.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Alternatively, TJ’s Kung Pao Chicken can be made in the microwave.
- Place frozen chicken pieces in a microwave-safe dish and cover with a paper towel.
- Heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add vegetables, re-cover with paper towel and heat for 1-1/2 – 2 minutes more.
- Add sauce, toss to cover chicken and vegetables, place back in microwave and heat for 1 minute longer or until hot.
- Toss once more, top with peanuts and serve.
These directions are for a 1200-watt microwave.
Is Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken Good?
FreezerMealFrenzy had this to say about TJ’s King Pao Chicken:
…and here are Becoming Betty’s thoughts:
Overall, the common consensus is that Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken is extremely good for the price, especially with the amount of chicken in each 23oz bag.
Is Kung Pao Sauce Recipe Vegetarian?
According to the Kung Pao sauce ingredients, it seems that the sauce is in fact vegetarian.
Kung Pao sauce ingredients include: water, sugar, soy sauce (soy, wheat), vinegar, modified corn starch, lime juice, salt, ginger, garlic, and green onion.
Obviously, the actual meal contains chicken and is not vegetarian. We don’t believe it would be worth buying the entire meal kit just for the sauce.
Is Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken Cooked?
Yes, Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken is pre-cooked, you just have to heat and eat!
This is a plus as you don’t have to worry if the chicken is raw or underdone. It will come out perfectly cooked every time whether you stir fry or cook it in the microwave!
Are Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken Mochi Balls Discontinued?
Sadly, Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken Mochi Balls have been discontinued.
However, the Kung Pao Chicken entree is very much available at all Trader Joe’s locations.